[thelist] RE: in-principle, PHP/mySQL shopping basket question

SBeam sbeam at syxyz.net
Wed Jul 23 15:47:37 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 02:56 pm, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Hassan Schroeder <mailto:hassan at webtuitive.com>
>
>     on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 10:47 AM said:
> > Gack. Servlet engines (Java/JSP) allow you to run your own methods
> > when the session is ended (manually or by timeout) -- doesn't PHP
> > have anything like that?

yes you can define user-level functions to handle the sessions; you can
therefore store in DB, shared memory, write to log, send to your palm pilot,
whatever.
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-save-handler.php

supposedly in PHP5 this will have a much nicer OO API.

> But Java isn't an interpreted language is it? What I mean by that is,
> isn't it a bit more powerful than a regular scripting language such as
> PHP or ASP?

not going to touch that one ;)