[thelist] NN4.x and IE4.x

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Thu Jul 24 08:06:25 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 07:37  AM, rudy wrote:

>> In all respect, I think your answer is a little extreme. Don't use DIV
>> at all? What else? Don't use CLASS?
>
> "avoid" is not the same as "don't use at all"
>
> it is the gratuitous use of DIV that bothers me

Fair enough, I feel the same way.

>> So how do you propose to identify sections of a document for styling?
>> Simply by HTML selectors?
>
> when this is possible, then of course
>

>> Communications and the Art of Simplicity
>
> ;o)

Thank you for the response, Rudy. In the interest of disclosure let me
just say that, while I am increasingly in the camp of the
Structuralists and Purists, my own commercial site is a real mess. : 0
I come to the web design industry only recently (relatively) and
started with an easy to use, but (from a code point of view) kludgy, in
the worst way, HTML generator - Freeway from softpress.com. So on my
site, sure, I use all sorts of junk, image maps, tables, inline styling
and so on. It is a real mishmash of let over code that has been run
though GoLive and BBEdit. Needless to say, I have left that "helpful"
software behind and forge ahead doing more hand editing than I ever
thought I would. My site is like the cobbler's children - no shoes for
them!

However, recent sites have been an attempt to at least adhere to the
"transitional" style of work that Zeldman talks about at his site and
ALA and elsewhere. For example:
http://www.thelightband.com
http://www.weekapauginn.com
http://www.perischwartz.com
http://www.gwcreative.com/working/jlm/

I also fully embrace the idea behind structural purity and the
separation of style and structure. Makes complete sense and falls right
into my "Communications and the Art of Simplicity" philosophy/rhetoric.
I just though that your response to Sharon lacked a balanced approach.
But now I see that you do indeed have that.

Regards,
Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
http://www.gwcreative.com/
gw at gwcreative.com
401.286.9228
Communications and the Art of Simplicity