[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Thu Jul 24 23:41:10 CDT 2003

Message from Jeff Howden (7/24/2003 05:33 PM)

>i'd love to see a study that shows what percentage of spam is as a result of
>posting an email address to a website vs the many other ways your email
>address can get into the wrong hands.

Well more than half of the spam I get comes to two addresses that are
listed on a site. My primary address, which is not posted on any (of my)
sites receives very little. I'd guess the ratio to be something like 10:1,
spam to posted addresses : spam to personal address.

(Most of the rest comes from random users @ my domains via the nobody alias)

That's just my situation though. Not what I would call a study by any
stretch of the imagination.

Jeff,

You mentioned that "web forms are impersonal. there is no such implied
guarantee (that someone will receive it) with a web form."

Do you think an auto-generated email response guaranteeing a response from
a live person within a certain timeframe would alleviate that impersonality?
(Yes I know this is straying onto a whole other topic).

regards.
-marc

--
Carnival 2003 in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/