[thelist] The Spam Argument [long] (was: Hiveware email addressencoder)

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 09:48:57 CDT 2003

frank...

you guys are slowly dragging me into this!!!

your friend has arguments that are pretty much based on the fact that the
costs of email are pretty much borne by someone else... when you or i or
others send a moderate amoutn of email, it's not a big deal... you're
willing to take the time to clean out your box, etc... there's a cost, but
it's realtively small, so you don't complain....

however, when someone starts to send massive (above some threshold) amounts
of mail, the cost rises... and someone is still paying.. your friend is only
able to do what she does, because part of her cost of doing business is
being paid by someone else..

a business could essentially dial up every known number and leave a
recording... the reason they don't ..the cost would be borne by the
business, making it difficult to really generate a profit this way... the
same for regular mail..

and this is in reality perhaps a good thing.. make the cost to initiate the
contact with the customer, be borne by the business, or at least have the
custoemr be a willing contributor/participant to the experience... ie you
have a store, i have to walk in the store... we're both sharing part of the
cost of contact!!

ask your friend if she'd still spam if her costs of emailing where to rise
by 10000%. she'd probably scream hell no!!...

the fact that she wants to continue her dealings to support her kid is
irrational and irrelavant from an economic point of view....

so... the real reason that spam has flourished is due to the economic
reality..it works for some people..for some things.. once a mechanism is put
into place.to reduce/eliminate the economic motive..spam will become less of
a problem...

two possible ways to accomplish this...
allow you to "own" your email address... and allow you to sign up for a do
not spam list. make it illegal for anyone to send "spam" to an address you
"legally own"..make it leagal for companies to sue spammers based upon them
sending you mail if you're registered to the spam list... in other words,
set up a corresponding system where you as the little guy.. can essentially
sue the spammer. but since you probably wouldn't sue, let another company do
it for you..similar to class action lawsuits... and make the penalties
high.. there are planty of companies who would sue..if there chance of
recouping was reasonable...

your friend would probably object..but hey..that's life!!

the 2nd approach...
raise the cost of doing email....by some 10000%..however, have a mechanism
in place that says if yousend less than x/month..you don't pay...

she'd probably scream here as well....

peace..