[thelist] The Spam Argument [long] (was: Hiveware email address encoder)

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Fri Jul 25 14:21:26 CDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jeff Howden wrote:
> let's not make this a personal attack on frank.

Hey, it was just some free guerilla marketing, Kelly style!
"Free speech; I'm supporting two cats!"  :)

> i have no reason to suspect that his business ethics are anything but
> above board.  please don't imply that they might not be.

I don't really think I implied anything like that in my language, that
would be an inference by the audience.  It took me all of about four
clicks to find that, and had I not been sent a personal note that my post
was disregarded I never would have found it, nor ever considered posting
such a thing.  I love Frank!  He should just show me a little more love :)

> your post contains nothing to keep the signal-to-noise ratio at its
> usual high level.  accordingly, you owe a tip.

Sigh, I guess I gotta give into this tip regime sooner or later!! ;)

<tip type="PHP" author="khallman">
Want to apply a function to each value of an array, but you're tired of
writing foreach loops?  Check out the array_map() function:
http://php.net/array-map ... for example:

$x = array_map("stripslashes",$_POST);

is sexier than:

foreach($_POST as $k => $v) {
    $x[$k] = stripslashes($v); }

A couple things to note about array_map():

* The callback function passed as the first argument is a string
  containing the name of the function, not the function itself!

* You can callback PHP built-in functions or your own functions.
</tip>

TA-DA!  My first tip ;)

--
Kelly Hallman