[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

David A. Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Sat Jul 26 22:12:06 CDT 2003

<quote who="Aleem B">

> Another promising strategy is to have second, email
> address that is not visible or hidden from the user but is
> still present on the page and will act as bait.

This is a good idea at blocking spammers[1].

I've begun doing this as a project with the dead domains of former ISPs.

We basically turn on an MX for the dead domain (dead for 5+ years) and the
spam rate is 100% up to the thousands+ count before we get a semi
false-positive.

We then list the src_addr as known spammers.

It's pretty damn effective at blocking spam.  I'm considering publishing
for rbl-style queries on the net.

-davidu

[1] It doesn't really do anything about the original problem in this
thread which was protecing an address from harvesting.