[thelist] rentacoder.com

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Mon Jul 28 02:17:20 CDT 2003

I've stopped my sub to that site.

The job descriptions and the pay scale given was driving me nuts.

I got laid-off 6 months ago (!), a friend told me about that site, and I was
hoping I could pick up a few small projects to help make ends meet until I
got a real job.

Ah!

I think the assessment that the folks getting these jobs are all off-shore,
or college (even high school) "kids" is bang dead on. I know I can't afford
to do a 2 to 3 week job for only $100.

But the thing is, "we" should understand, just like manufacturing, all the
development work is going off-shore. It can be had for a significant
fraction elsewhere on the planet.

I just wish I had a clue on how to deal with this. My 6 month "safety net"
is gone, unemployment is over in 4 weeks, life is getting very scary at 42
(with a mortgage and 3 kids). I'm in a place I thought I had worked my way
past, but life can throw you curves!

Anyway, I stopped reading that site, it got me too depressed.

Walter