[thelist] rentacoder.com

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 12:23:50 CDT 2003

--- bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I recall that there used to be rows of guys doing drafting
> work in certain companies, Cad-Cam applications ripped that
> profession to shreds... While the draftsman complained, technology
> continued!!!

Bruce, I think you have the wrong analogy here. We're not talking
about different types or versions of tech. Here's whats happening:

Draftsman #1: I'll produce your drawing in a month, for $750
Draftsman #2: I'll product your drawing in a month, for $25

THAT is the problem. They aren't doing anything *different*. It's not
cad-cam vs. drafting. Its fee vs. fee. Mr #1 is in trouble if Mr. #2
gets all the jobs.

There are all kinds of side issues that go along with this issue, but
it most assuredly is not an issue of technology. Nobody or nothing is
ripping web/software development up, or even threatening it. The
issue is available freelance/contract work and the rates it is sold
at.

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward