[thelist] rentacoder.com

Wade Armstrong wade_lists at runstrong.com
Mon Jul 28 23:17:06 CDT 2003

on 7/28/03 8:55 PM, Mark Groen at mark at markgroen.com wrote:

> Dang it, off topic. I keep telling myself not to answer those threads, hmmm,
>
> <tip type="Why a Project Scope?" author="markgroen">
... great tip follows

<tip type="Project Management">
Where does the project scope belong? In the contract, of course. Then the
client can hold you to your promises -- and, maybe even better, you can hold
the client to them too, thereby controlling feature creep.

But where do I get this information? Your first meeting with the client
should do it. Even just a single meeting, plus a phone call, should be
sufficient to get a tolerable scope of work for most projects under $20,000.

The more specific the scope, the better. Be clear about functionality.
You'll seem more professional, the client will enjoy working with you, it'll
be easy to say no to new requests, and the project will end up well.
</tip>