[thelist] web book wishlist

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 09:21:09 CDT 2003

Hi David,

> -something generic on creating accessable/ usable websites.

"Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug is a fantastic book on web
usability. It's relatively short but covers a wealth of material with
great writing and useful illustrations. Web accessibility is well
covered by Joe Clark's "Building Accessible Websites". I haven't seen
a book that covers both topics; in any case, both of these books are
an essential addition to a web development book case.

> -teach yourself guide to css.

Again, two books come to mind here. "CSS: Separating Content from
Presentation" by a number of authors (although with the bulk provided
by Owen Briggs) is a great guide to the practical ins and outs of CSS,
with especially good coverage of fixing browser problems. "Eric Meyer
on CSS" uses a very different style, with 15 case studies each
describing ways of applying CSS techniques to real projects. The
former is better for learning the raw technical details, the latter is
great for inspiration.

> -a css reference book.

The two books I mentioned already should cover this. Eric Meyer's
"CSS: The Definitive Guide" has had very good reviews from others but
I have not read it myself. It may be more of a reference work than the
other two, but in any case once you understand CSS there are plenty of
good reference guides on the web.

Hope that helps,

Simon Willison
--