[thelist] slightly ot: color anomaly in digital pictures

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jul 29 16:01:02 CDT 2003

Chris W. Parker asked:

>>I'm taking pictures of some products right now and I've noticed that in
>>some pictures there is a small blue (sometimes a grayish) dot. Anyone
>>know why this happens?

Hi Chris,

Is it a digital camera?  Some brands/models have been known to have/develop
problems with 'dead' pixels that would show in _some_pictures.  {You may have to
do some 'counting' to see if they appear in the same place in some similarly
colored pictures. It might appear random if you see them in different places
when taking pictures of different things because of the color that is affected.}

If it's analog, how is your lighting?  [Rats - can't recall the tecnical term!]
But too direct a light can cause some internal lens reflections ... sometimes
an artsy effect ... sometimes annoying.  These would likely be bigger than you
are talking about though.

Last guess ... could it be some 'artifacting' on a small detailed diagonal maybe?

HTH,

RonL.