[thelist] PHP Based file download system.

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Jul 29 17:43:21 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tanner Burson" <tanner at younet.okstate.edu>
> I agree that would be a nice method, except we're dealing with hundreds
> of megs of data.

In that case I think you might want to build a custom loader.
This is a small program that the user downloads, which then takes care of
downloading the files for them.
Like the way MS update works.
This allows you to break up larger files into small portions, use
alternative servers if the main one is slow, and confirm on the server that
the download was successful.

I don't see how a timed download can work though, unless you give them a 24
hour timeslot, as the time needed ranges from a few minutes to many hours to
download hundreds of megs.

Richard.