[thelist] Downloading a whole site

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net
Tue Jul 29 20:57:32 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

> Hiya
>
> Favourite tool for downloading a whole site?
>
> I've a new client who wants to move his site to a new ISP. I think it's in
> a subdirectory of one of his client's site, but it has its own domain and
> so on. Obviously I need the css and so on, but not the rest of the
> client's site. Oh, and the client may be a tad upset and therefore not
> wish to co-operate and/or the ftp password may be the one for his site,
> two reasons why teh ftp password and so on may not be forthcoming.

Uh, you don't say which operating system.

I personally use wget, available from any GNU mirror, which will access a
site with HTTP and follow every link it can find. It can be configured
to recursively download and not to ascend higher in the URL path. AFAIK,
it can be compiled for any modern OS.

--
Shawn K. Quinn