[thelist] Favourite email clients anyone?

Mike Foroobar lists at wirelust.com
Wed Jul 30 11:05:08 CDT 2003

If you're looking for good spam protection and you're stuck using
Outlook, look not further than Spammunition
(http://www.upserve.com/spammunition/default.asp) which I use and works
excellently, SpamBayes
(http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/spambayes/) with it's new
Outlook plugin, or POPFile (http://popfile.sourceforge.net/) which I
have no experience with.

And one other thing to take note of when you're choosing an email
client: I use rules heavily to sort my incoming mail, sending different
mailing lists to different folders, my business email one place, my
personal another, etc. and thus I have at least 30 rules running. When I
used Outlook the rules ran on startup and I came to notice that many
times the rules wouldn't be applied and so I'd have 20 to 40 unsorted,
unclassified messages lying around in my inbox and I'd either have to
manually run the rules or move them by hand, which came to be a big pain
in the arse. If you check out the Microsoft Outlook support website
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q325675) they
have a little subheading at the extreme bottom of the page saying
"Outlook E-mail Rules May Not Work As Expected." It was for this reason
that I switched my rules-intensive account over to using Mozilla Mail
and left the basic stuff in Outlook (because everything sync's with my
Pocket PC).

And one comment on Mozilla Mail regarding threading. The one problem I
have with it that I never had with Outlook's threading/conversation
capability is that sometimes it will append new conversations to the end
of an existing conversation (i.e. in the "Downloading a whole site"
thread earlier this week on thelist, the thread "Validating code"
appeared towards the bottom of the thread's tree structure when I
expanded the thread...).

Just my 0.02.

Mike