Should you go against your Client? (Was: [thelist] Message Archive -MySQL)

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Wed Jul 30 11:23:41 CDT 2003

james,

> > However, although the client seems sure that no one will *ever* want to
> > recover a message more than 30 days old, I do not share his faith.
> > Consequently, what I want to do is ..........
>
> Um, shouldn't you leave this? You Client has expressly said this, and
> you seem to be proposing to go behind his back against him.
>
> Maybe he has his reasons for this; for example the database could be
> put on a host where he pays for expensive storage, or maybe due to the
> applications intended use he wants to encourage users to use it for
> short term things only, and not as a message archive?
>
> I would have thought the proper course of action is to sit down with
> him and explain to him why you think its a bad idea and to try to
> change his mind, but if he remains resolute then you bow to his will.
>
> What is other peoples experience in matters like this?

i agree.

"the customer is always right" applies to whatever business you are in.

try to educate your clients, but don't waste your time trying to change
their mind about anything. if they insist on something *really* stupid, like
having cc numbers emailed to them, get them to sign something that says you
explained to them how dumb they are (well, ya know, the wording mught need
some tweaks).

at my current hourly rate, i'll clean their toilets if they want.
--but only after recommending they find a more affordable solution.

nagrom
http://morgankelsey.com