[thelist] Radio button tab problem

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Jul 30 14:37:14 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Gray" <rich at f1central.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 1:53 PM

> Bryan (and others),
>
> Thanks for your replies...
>
> Well unfortunately tabindex isn't really a solution for an IE user who
uses
> the TAB key to navigate through a form and expects to access all widgets
on
> the screen... my users don't seem to like using arrow keys ...

Gotta love user, eh?

Here's an alternative.

Set the name attributes on all radio buttons to be unique from each other
and set the tabindex to the order you'd like.  Have a set of hidden fields
with the names of the original radio button groups.  Then, within the
onfocus of a radio button, set the value of the hidden field to the value of
the selected radio button.  When the form submits it'll produce the same
form variables as the original form except that it'll also have the extra
radio buttons.  Depending on the naming convention you pick, you should be
able to flush those out.

The hard part is unchecking the other radio buttons... but it is possible.
You may need to use the DOM to replace the other radio buttons with new ones
that are unchecked.  I'll leave the rest up to you.

Good luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.