[thelist] Valid form for meta tags?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 02:23:44 CDT 2003

> I am using the HTML 4.01 transitional doctype. When I run a page
> through the W3C HTML validator it gives the error message "character
> data is not allowed here", while seeming to indicate the
> forward slash
> closing my meta tags. I don't get this error with tags like

> so I am confused.

The validator has limitations and that may be why it's not picking up on
the <br /> but with html 4.01 you don't need the />  so that's probably
why it's choking.

if you are using  /> to close tags then you're using xhtml standards why
not use:

instead?

more on doctypes:

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/doctype/