[thelist] Dealing with clients and design issues (was Re: Should yougo against your Client?)

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Jul 31 14:16:58 CDT 2003

>>>Clients, especially business clients, have to put their mark on everything that comes under their influence. Therefore, when they hire a designer to create something for them, somehow they have to leave their mark on that design. (Marketing directors are the worst for this).<<

Having been on both sides of this coin (as designer and as client), I think statements like this do a huge disservice to clients. In fact, it's their JOB to put their mark on (to care about) everything that's presented to the world as a representation of their company! If you really believe they are just a spoiled brat with a checkbook who longs for the day when they can mess with your good design, you probably need to find a job outside the realm of client service because you clearly don't have as much faith in them as they had when they hired *you*.

>>>Therefore, to keep the client from seriously messing up a good design, place an obvious mistake somewhere in a non-crucial area of the design. The client will see the mistake, correct it and leave the rest of your
design alone.<<<

Come on, folks, clients aren't your enemy, and they don't need to be "tricked" into thinking they've made a contribution to a project. If my hired web designer makes an "obvious mistake," and I as the untrained client catch it, I'm going to wonder whether I've made a wise investment with that designer. I think a more honest approach would be to point the client to a couple of areas where you would really LIKE to have their input (you DO want their input, right??), and invite them to specifically comment on those areas. Say something like, "I know you'll be looking over the entire site, but I really would like to have you look specifically at the (whatever) section because I'd like to have your opinion on (whatever)." That way, you're not creating the illusion of a gap in your own expertise, just because you *think* your client's ideas might seriously mess up your design.

Also, I would just like to say that in my experience, a client will not seriously mess up a good design unless that design comes as a complete surprise to them late in the process. They should be involved from the beginning with the color scheme, features, graphical look and feel, style/tone of copy, navigation/layering, etc. - so by the time you get around to having them review the "good design," they won't seriously mess it up because they're already on board with it. If a client makes a suggestion that you think won't work, be prepared to explain your position and offer an alternative or compromise. If they aren't involved from the beginning, signing off frequently on your design ideas, then of course they're going to feel like they had nothing to do with it and they'll generate a raft of changes. That won't JUST be because they want to put their stamp on it, though - it will ALSO be because nothing is going to be perfect on the first draft and they assume you are genuinely seeking their input as you fine-tune it.

Well maybe that's more than .02 worth, but boy, that attitude really irks me!

- Janet