[thelist] DNS Help

Scott Harman scott at enteractiontv.com
Fri Aug 1 05:58:18 CDT 2003

Can't you run the two webservers concurrently?
i.e.
You are going to see a rather large delay on transfer -
When you transfer, you can easily maintain all of the current CNAME, MX,
HOST records etc.  Just make sure they're all on the transfer notice.
But, simply change the new host record for www and leave the old server
running for a good two or three days after the transfer has been
actioned.

What you'll see is:
Old DNS host releases records on receipt of a transfer notice
New DNS host loads your records into their zone file
New Zone file gets loaded by the root servers
New zone file is propogated from root servers to all other dns servers
(more or less! ;) - keeping it simple)
>From first action to second can take a couple of weeks - everything
after that in my experience takes between 2 and 72 hours depending on
the hosts, and the reload/propogate schedule.

The only one I've had a serious problem with, was transferring from a
company who maintains their own DNS root servers - the girl who handled
it was on leave for two weeks at the time, delaying our site launch by
three weeks!  Simply because nobody would action the transfer without
her say so!

End of the day, it comes down to each person validating the information
they've rec'd in a timely manner, ticking all the boxes...
It takes time, so make sure you've got contingency in place.

Scotty