[thelist] Mozilla and DesignMode

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Sat Aug 2 17:43:03 CDT 2003

I'm trying to implement the Cross-Browser Rich-Text Editor (as available at
http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm (which appears to be down right now))
and have it working in IE6.

However, on Mozilla 1.3 (it's only supposed to work on Moz 1.3+), I'm having
quite a few difficulties.

My problem line right now is in a JS file and looks like this:
  document.getElementById('testFrame').contentDocument.designMode = "on";

That's giving me the following error:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMNSHTMLDocument.designMode]"  nsresult:
"0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
http://www.squidswimteam.org/dev/lib/htmlEdit/richtext.js :: Start :: line
141"  data: no]

Before that, I'm able to output the value of the designMode attribute (it's
"off"), but it appears I can't set it.

If you'd like to see how I'm implementing it, you can go to:
http://www.squidswimteam.org/dev/index.cfm/fuseaction/members.dsp_announcement_edit.cfm

You'll need to login, so I've created a test user:
user name:  tester
password: tester

I'm open to suggestions on what's going on.

Thanks!

Scott