[thelist] [css] liquid design help, please

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Aug 4 11:05:00 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Egor Kloos" <studio at dutchcelt.nl>
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 11:30 AM

> This is you what should do.
> You should always avoid padding, borders and or margins in any object
> where your width is critical.
> Kill the body and outer widths. They will fill to the width of your
> border automatically.
> So first float empty 50% objects with no margin or padding.
> Then insert your bordered boxes with the paddings and border widths.
> And that's it. Crossbrowser 50% boxes side by side.

Simple genius.  Makes too much sense.  Thank you.

Now, for tricks number 2 and 3:

2.  Is there a way to make the inner divs fill the entire space vertically?
3.  What if (and this is a big what if) I wanted a third column on the right
hand side (but still within the bounding box) of a fixed width (in pixels),
and the two existing columns to split 50/50 the remaining space?

Thanks again!

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.