[thelist] Client doesn't know his audience

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 13:23:13 CDT 2003

> Shift the conversation around and say, "Well maybe I can help you define
> your audience a little better, because the site really should be more
> focused."

Good stuff Janet, thanks, you're right about that. But it slightly misses
the point. That's identifying different audiences. But it doesn't profile
any one of them. But I guess it sidesteps the thing I just wrote (about
profiling leading to a design spec) and comes up with a functional spec
for the site. OK. But we still don't know whether we want the site to be
pink or blue, whether we need Flash or not (not, obviously (joke)
<ducks>). I guess I'm talking about graphic design, look/feel kinda
issues.

It also leads on to user testing. How do you choose the people you want to
test your site if you don't have a profile of the audience?