[thelist] mangling ppk's menus

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 08:12:25 CDT 2003

>I have been trying to get to grips with a *new* version of our company
>site. [Part of the design hijacks PPK's menus.]

Go ahead. I just took a look at the code again and now I think it's a bit
old-fashioned. Nonetheless it works.

>I am really struggling getting my css to work without it being one *big*
>hack.
>
>the site [ http://www.ideadesigners.com/idv2 ]
>
>My problem is manifold:
>
>1. Is there a way to make the left column and it's contents relative so
>that with variable menu elements the search box will change relative
>height. i.e. is there a way to include it in normal flow but keep it
>positioned?

I think you should rethink your approach. Basically I'd create three
'super-divs', one on the top with the image, one on the left containing
navigation and search and one on the right containing everything else. Then
you can use position: relative to make all these divs flow naturally,
especially on the left.

>2. In moz why do the menu elements remain the size they are with padding
>5px applied to and bottom *but* on the breadcrumbs and footer divs it is
>rendered differently.

And why doesn't the script work in Mozilla and gives no error messages
either? I don't understand that at all.

Probably another element has a padding, too. I think you should clean up
your CSS slightly and apply styles to only one element (so div#footer OR
div#footer p, but not both). That'll make it easier to spot such strange
exceptions.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Browser Wars II: The Saga Continues
http://evolt.org/article/rdf/25/60181/