[thelist] [Security] Any security risks with Low privacy settinings IE?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Wed Aug 6 10:18:21 CDT 2003

> Hi Chris,
>
> Cookies cannot cause any physical harm to your computer - they cannot
> be used to execute arbritry code, they can't be used to access their
> files and they can't be used to steal or modify information on your PC
> in any way.
>
> The only valid concern about cookies is the threat they can have on
> your privacy. Cookies can be used to track the web sites that you
> visit (or at least, the web sites you visit that are "in bed" with
> our mythical evil cookie abuser).

Okay, thank you. So cookies are not in and of themselve malicious in
anyway. So am I totaly out to lunch here getting upset with a company that
requires users to set their computers to accept all cookies? or do I have
a valid complaint? I guess that is really what I would like to know. Is
this doing a disservice to users and knowningly exposing them to privacy
threats or am I totaly out to lunch in trying to fight this?

--
Chris Johnston

chris at fuzzylizard.com
www.fuzzylizard.com