[thelist] mangling ppk's menus

Christopher Joseph christopher at ideadesigners.com
Wed Aug 6 12:09:20 CDT 2003

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> I think you should rethink your approach. Basically I'd create three
> 'super-divs', one on the top with the image, one on the left containing
> navigation and search and one on the right containing everything else.
> Then you can use position: relative to make all these divs flow
> naturally, especially on the left.

I have made a few changes to the page.

http://www.ideadesigners.com/idv2/index.html

  It now contains super-divs that are relatively stacked. However I
realised that position:relative is relative to the divs position in
'normal flow'. In the case of the example page this would mean that the
top:(n)px position of my 'right' super-div would be 0px (i.e. position
in 'normal flow') minus the height of my left super-div in order to
position the right div at the same level as the left.

Why not use postion:absolute you ask?

Well I would like to be able to put a footer on the page. This cannot be
position:absolute because the left and right super-divs are variable in
height *and* clear:both only seems to work if I am using objects that
are still tied to normal flow (position:static or position:relative)

Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?
--
Christopher Joseph

-------------------