[thelist] Weird DOM rendering with Mozilla....

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:52:10 CDT 2003

>I've been playing around with the DOM and JS, and found an anomaly with
>making rows of a table appear and disapper under Mozilla.
>
>	http://www.baratta.com/test/
>
>The above page is a basic form with text fields and a select field.
>Selecting "Appear" from the list will make an additional text file appear.
>Under IE it all works as expected. Under Mozilla (1.3) the re-appearance of
>the row is not "optimal". In fact if you select "Hide", space is left over,
>e.g. the table does not shrink down. So the next time you select "Appear"
>the table 'grows' longer, appending unused space to the appearance area.
>
>This is just a test for investigation - but I'm interested in hearing if
>other people have seen this behaviour when working with table rows?

A TR should get display: table-row in Moz and Opera, but not, of course, in
IE.

The best thing you can do is alternate between style.display = 'none' and
style.display= ''. You make the inline style empty so that the default
style, whether block or table-row, can take over.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Browser Wars II: The Saga Continues
http://evolt.org/article/rdf/25/60181/