[thelist] [Security] Any security risks with Low privacy settingin IE?

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Wed Aug 6 18:44:17 CDT 2003

"Chris Johnston" <chris at fuzzylizard.com> 07/08/2003 01:10:23 wrote:

> I believe that allowing third pary cookies onto your computer is a security risk.
> Therefore, what I am looking for are articles that will back up this claim.

have a look at:
http://www.cookiecentral.com/
for everything you ever wanted to know about Cookies (although admittedly it is somewhat out of date)
The Unnofficial Cookie FAQ says:
http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/

2.4 Are Cookies Dangerous to My Computer?

NO. A cookie is a simple piece of text. It is not a program, or a plug-in. It cannot be used as a virus, and it cannot access your hard drive. Your browser (not a programmer) can save cookie values to your hard disk if it needs to, but that is the limit of the effect on your system.

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
UNITEC Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand

"Have I lost faith in Microsoft? Yes, completely, I no
longer care or believe any claim or announcement they
make. I am not interested in their latest and greatest
version of anything."