[thelist] linux server redistribute disk space

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Wed Aug 6 19:47:02 CDT 2003

Hi,
<----- Original Message -----
<From: "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn at frogger.kicks-ass.net>
<As an alternative, if getting to the console to do this is not feasible,
<you could symlink to somewhere under /home. However, you have space under
</usr so a much more straightforward solution would be to move /var/www to
</usr/local/www if you need a "quick fix".

Thanks for the tips.
It turned out that mySql puts its datadirectory under /var/lib/mysql by
default, and our search-engine had filled-up the diskspace.
I moved the mysql datadir to /home, and put a symlink pointing to it.
It took me all day to get everything working, while the final solution would
have taken 10 minutes for an experienced user, but I learned a lot along the
way, so it was worth it.

Thanks,
Richard.