[thelist] registrar problems - switching?

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Thu Aug 7 15:39:16 CDT 2003

> AMZ is suggesting GoDaddy.com as a good alternative. I have heard the
> name tossed around before. She says the only bad thing is they try to
> upsell you a lot of stuff.
>
> Could I get some suggestions here? Should I switch? I'm not happy at
> all with Register.com but what is involved in switching registrars?
> Any downtime? Sounds like a big pain..

Seriously easy.  Go to register.com, make sure it's unlocked.  Go to
GoDaddy (or Joker.com) and transfer.  Pay the fee, and with luck, no
downtime.  I know Joker will do a live transfer, and GoDaddy I've not
done transfers with, just new registrations.

GoDaddy is one of the cheapest, that's for sure.  Better service than
Verisign/NetSol, for sure, and I've not heard good about Register.com

My ISP uses Tucows' OpenSRS registry.  YMMV.

Ari