[thelist] ASP / HTML Forms: Carrage Returns in Text Area

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Mon Aug 11 10:14:56 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----

Casey  wrote:

> >Hello,
> >
> >How would you force an HTML form to recognize sinlge and double returns
in a
> >text area?  On the action page when the string is displayed, all returns
> >have been ignored.

Anthony responded:

> When you display the result either wrap it in <pre> or <code>, or write a
> routine that converts the CRLFs to a <br>.

Casey now says:

Anthony & The List,

The <pre> tag almost works, but it does not recognize natural line breaks
and forces the user to scroll waaaay to the right to view all the text, only
inserting a line break when the user did.

I could find nothing about <code> anywhere, either in HomeSite's help or on
google.

I'm curious about converting  CRLF's to a <br>... this sounds like we are
barking up the right tree.  However, when I purposely cause the page to
error (thus revealing the POST data) a carrage return shows as %0D%0A.  So
it would seem as if I need to replace every %0D%0A with a <br>.

What's the best way to do this? Client side (javascript) or server side
(ASP/VBScript?)

Casey