[thelist] Project and client management tools

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Mon Aug 11 10:34:30 CDT 2003

On August 11, 2003 at 1:29, Mike Foroobar wrote:

> ......... projects such as PHPCollab and Achievo but
> .......... do want is a simple
> interface that allows me to add new clients, add projects to the
> ............... I also
> want the ability to track the time I spend working in different areas.

I've used PHPCollab on projects where there were a number of people involved
and liked it. Most of my project tracking needs are satisfied though with just
maintaining a good old fashioned filing cabinet type directory structure in "My
Documents" using folder names and file names that makes sense looking at
them later. Some of it requires creating your own simple
database/xml/spreadsheets for certain files (invoices fer instance) but for a small
operation like me it's not that big a deal.

A good chunk of my work is on an hourly basis with a number of clients (like 10
hours here, 5 hours there sort of thing) and I just invoice once a month on their
total time. To keep track of the time itself, I use Timestamp, available under GNU
license here: http://www.syntap.com/ and name the files logically to keep them in
order, something like: "2003-08_ClientName".

Keeps track of total time/slack time, space for notes, minimizes nicely to your
systray, and exports the data in either an xml format or delimited ACSII.

Regards,

	Mark Groen

MG Web Services
Web Site Hosting and Development