[thelist] RE: thelist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 24

Ed e at marinx.com
Mon Aug 11 11:06:43 CDT 2003

Dear Mike,

I've been on the hunt myself, and done a bit of reviewing.
The best place to get lists of open source apps, I think, is
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Groupware_Tools/index.htm

While I'm not sure that these do everything you want, my favorites based on
usability and simplicity are:
http://www.dotproject.net/
http://www.tutos.org/homepage/screens.html
http://www.phprojekt.com/features.php
http://www.courseforum.com/projectforum/index.html

The issue with most of these tools is that they are built BY small
programming houses for their own needs, so they tend to either be
super-specific, or have a horrible interface.
Why you guys like to click around so much I'll never understand :)

But there are some really nice efforts in there, and maybe you can re-do one
of these to suit your needs (if the license permits).

Please let us know what you choose. I'm personally implementing DotProject
myself in the next couple days.

 :  Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:29:00 -0400
 :  From: Mike Foroobar <lists at wirelust.com>

 :  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with project and/or client
 :  management tools. I've looked at a couple open source (I'm not looking
 What I do want is a simple interface
 :  that allows me to add new clients, add projects to the clients, and add
 :  users (namely me) to work on those projects. I also want the ability to
 :  track the time I spend working in different areas.