[thelist] What's the outlook

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 20:43:26 CDT 2003

Hello. I'm wondering about the outlook for this career in web design. I
think I'm on the verge of obsolescence. I can't seem to get any
opportunities to gain skills on the server-side of things where I work.
It seems like the future of web work will be writing applications for
Microsoft technologies. We use Java where I work, and java appears to
be quite complex and uncommon. I'm wondering what you think the future
is. I just don't know what to do next. I really like the client-side
work, but it appears that the need for that is fading. So many
companies can just generate code with content management tools, so why
bother having a web designer on staff? Why even bother with web
standards, either, for that matter?