[thelist] Re: What's the outlook

Ryan Tames rytames at telusplanet.net
Fri Aug 15 02:38:31 CDT 2003

On 15 Aug 2003 at 14:23, Paul Bennett wrote:

Thanks, that is food for thought.

I have one question: By downloadable software, do you mean
that the handheld can download and install it?

Or (even better) will a java app run as a "browser" based applet?

[snip WAP 1.0 device]

> It needs to be stated here that it is quirky, (especially for
> navigation), sometimes device specific (ah, remember those browser
> wars? - well they are very much in force in the wap device world) and
> devices are unforgiving with syntax errors - in my experience wap 1.x
> combined with server-side scripting can be a PITA to debug

I have not began developing WAP yet. But it does interest me, and
the pure mass of technical issues confuse me.

I have a couple more questions about Java, they are answered with
one question: When a user downloads an applet, I'm wondering if
that applet will be able to have partial system control, as an example,
on the newer phones with cameras, will an applet beable to compress
a photo/a series of photos and upload them to a server, and then
delete those photos from the phones internal memory?

Of course with user control, but the main question is are there interfaces
built into the Wap device similair to that?