[thelist] photo usage/consent question

Bill McBain bill at stimilon.org
Tue Aug 19 01:08:31 CDT 2003

Hey all,

I work for a summer camp which is owned by a private organization.
Photography is nowhere in my contract. I am a counselor. I took
thousands of photos this summer, and put together a staff slideshow. I
then put this slideshow on my personal website. Some of the photos have
campers and staff members under 18 in them. I got a call from my (former
because my seasonal contract ended) boss tonight telling me to pull the
pictures. He says that I am violating laws because I don't have a
release form for public consumption of these photos.
My question is: Is my personal website a public area?

-Bill

PS. I plan to work here next summer too, and I like my bosses, and so I
have complied for now, but I just want to know whether legally he or I
am right.