[thelist] photo usage/consent question

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Tue Aug 19 05:35:53 CDT 2003

This could be tricky.

If you took the pictures during work, it could be argued that they own
the copyright to those photos. If you took the photos in your free time
then you probably own copyright.

If you are using the pictures to report something you *probably* don't
need that persons consent to use the pictures.  However if this is not
the case you *probably* should get the consent of the individuals
photographed before you use them. Most professional photographers get
people to sign a "model release form" which signs away the models
rights to the image.

The best thing for you to do is too seek some legal advice or speak to
a professional photographer.

Andy