[thelist] Bold vs. Strong

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DSI/SICOR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Tue Aug 19 06:29:07 CDT 2003

Hiya all,

This whole discussion has opened up a breach in my oh-so-dogmatic mind.

I had never thought of the opposition img/object as the same kind of opposition as b/strong, so I have to adapt to this new mode of thinking.

Keeping the img tag seems to me reasonable, be it only for simplicity reasons.

But.

If something is bold, in the *print* sense of the word, then it's because of some emphasis, hence the adoption of strong that is more er... semantic than visual.

If I had to *still* use b, it would be as a mere synonym for strong (what it has always been).

<quote who="rudy">
if you want a truly visual-only style on a certain span of words, what's better, semantically, B or STRONG?
or SPAN?
what if the visual-only style you want is bolding?
what if you want visual-only bolding and no emphasis?
my advice:  use B for B, use STRONG for STRONG
avoid SPAN
</quote>

>From my understanding that doesn't qualify. Bold today, red and thin tomorrow, orange and italic the day after, you know the Powers-That-Be as well as I do. If I really need some fun-looking part of the page, inline, then I'll go for a span.

Although, yes, the bigger the CSS file, the harder it is to maintain it.

s t e f (aka notabene)
http://evolt.org/user/notabene/22696/
http://www.nota-bene.org/