[thelist] What is wrong with this site?

Tim Fountain tim at incutio.com
Tue Aug 19 08:50:41 CDT 2003

Monday, August 18, 2003, 11:59:32 PM, Simon Willison wrote:

> Bill Haenel wrote:

>> Should we be using the same tool for developing our products that
>> our users/customers do for actually enjoying the product?

> What a fascinating question. I'd say not: while we should of course
> /test/ in the browser used by our users, we would be better to
> /develop/ in a tool that is better suited for development.

Any development tool is going to be a browser of some kind, as
browsable pages are the end result. I'd love to see a browser with
little status bar icons that represent validity of pages as you
browse, instead of us constantly having to validate things.

Think of Javascript errors.  In Internet Explorer, if there's a
Javascript error on a page you get the little JS icon bottom left.
Double-click on that and you get details of the error(s).  Why can't
we have something like this for HTML and CSS errors?  The browser has
to parse the content anyway... One for accessibility problems would be
great too.

I believe Opera may have something like this already but I'd love to
see it in Firebird (and IE as well but that'll never happen).

--
Tim Fountain | Web developer | Incutio Limited | www.incutio.com
email: tim at incutio.com | Tel: +44 8708 700 333 | Fax: +44 7092 181 581