[thelist] Broadening my Horizons - JSP

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 14:04:49 CDT 2003

> What are some good books? websites? applications? uses? future?
> thoughts?
> on/of Java Server Pages?

I reckon you need to learn Java, then look at Servlets, then JSP. Barry
Cornelius' Java book was used for my degree course, then one of the Deitel
and Deitels. I'm currently working through JSP 2.0 The Complete Reference
(Osborne) but it's not clicked yet.

Once you've cracked all that, you can move on to J2EE (an alternative to
..NET).

As a guide, we had three (Java) programming modules in our course, a total
of (at a guess) 50 points, which means 500 hours of study, to cover Java
and a bit of servlets (there's not a lot to know once you know Java). We
never did cover JSP. Of course, probably the first third of that was
covering the basics of programming and object orientation, so if you're
already a programmer then you can knock a bit off.

I hope that's not too daunting, I just thought it would help me if I knew
what I was letting myself in for so I could plan it. I mean, 10 hours a
week for a year should crack it, that kinda thing.

Cheers