[thelist] Re: thelist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 49

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 20 20:03:12 CDT 2003

I have noticed in some browsers that if you use <b> you actually get
the bold typeface of the font. In otherwords, the text isn't just
heavier, it is actually different -- the bold version. Same with the
<i> tag. Don't really have a point other than just that I've noticed
it. I wonder if you also get the bold typeface if you chose <strong> or
the italic/oblique if you choose <em> or <cite>?

One thing that makes markup language somewhat confusing is that it
originally started out as all about semantic markup, then there arose a
desire for more print-like display capabilities, now there is a desire
to return to the semantic, meaningful markup. Look at any ad in a
magazine. Words are not always bold, all caps or italics just because
they are emphasizing, citing or whatever. Sometimes they are just
styled just for the style of it. As much as some would like to return
to a web that is all about semantics, there will always remain times
when things look the way they do for no semantic reason at all. So why
not have <b> just for the sake of being bold and for no other reason?
Sometimes you need variation on the page, not to emphasize in a
meaningful way, but to give the big blob of gray text some texture. The
ability to choose fonts so limited, sometimes <b> is your simplest way
to get a little variation in an otherwise bland visual display.