[thelist] RE: PHP & Accessibility

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Thu Aug 21 15:02:44 CDT 2003

Andre Genic wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions so far, as for why I raised this subject, I've
>been reading with interest about accessibility via .NET a UK internet mag,
>whether they are spicing things up to create a sort of panic I don't know.

.NET is a different beast because it tries to integrate all kinds of
fabulous Microsoft product-specific functionality into a client-server
framework that is larger than the HTTP protocol.  In this way it ties
browser behavior to the web server in special ways.

PHP is used as a server-side technology. While it is the developer's
responsibility to address the issue of accessibility there is nothing in
PHP which addresses this because accessibility is a concern isolated to
the browser-side of the experience, not the web server.  You need to
write accessible HTML with your PHP code, but there is nothing in PHP
that helps or hinders the accessibility of the resulting HTML.

>As for the tables I use to display data, they are a mess, and I mean a mess,
>perhaps it's time I dabbled with CSS to generate tables, perhaps there
>should be some clear definitions and guidelines for developers and I mean in
>a definitive way, perhaps their is already, and I've completely missed it.

Take little steps.  Work on eliminating one table that has two layout
elements side by side, regardless of whether there are three or four
nested tables inside them.  If you can remove one simple instance of
tables-as-layout you have made a big step forward.  Look for areas that
look like they would be easiest to clean up, then work on the harder
ones later as your proficiency and confidence improves.  Expect to spend
some time, and it is ok to back out of a change and try another one that
turns out to be easier.

Baking cookies will always be easier than any sort of application/web
development.  If we could reduce development to a foolproof process,
some genius would write a program that would write all the rest of the
programs we need for us, and I would be sipping lemonade in the sun
instead of sitting in this chair. :)

A couple of clarifications for you:  Tables are good for tabular data.
Tables are often not necessary for layout.  Depending on the complexity
of the layout you are working on, sometimes you are reduced to having to
use tables.  <irony>Always avoid absolutes</irony> (such as "Never use
tables," or even "Never use tables for layout"). Also, CSS doesn't
generate tables, but using CSS to modify the display of tables, divs,
headers (h1 h2 etc), paragraphs, lists, to get the layout you want.  CSS
isn't a magic bullet, and browsers are not yet ready for all HTML to be
clear of display-oriented markup but we can move in that direction and
often get very good results.

A good starter-reference for writting CSS (a tutorial and reference
combined) is available at http://www.w3schools.com/css

>But I would sooner make sites that are accessible, there would be nothing
>worse than getting a big client, developing their site, only for them to get
>sued, after all it all comes back to the developer.

First define accessibility:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

Now use bobby to look at some of your favorite websites and see how they
rate.  Bobby tries to programatically evaluate the accessibility of a page:
http://bobby.watchfire.com/

Note that Bobby has limitations:  it isn't able to really understand the
content or context of a web page, it isn't able to see the images with
real eyes to detect poor color choices (affecting those with color
blindness for instance), etc.  It doesn't allow exceptions to it's
rules, and will always complain about the same things.  You should
consider Bobby's response as feedback, not a religious document, and
update your pages accordingly.  Are the problems Bobby lists going to
impair a user's ability to navigate?  to extract content?  How friendly
is it to folks with dissabilities? (are a bunch of ads and navigation
items read by a screen reader before the content of the page?)
Determine how far you feel you want to go to answer the needs of the
client AND provide reasonable accessibility.

CSS can help you improve the accessibility of your work, but most of the
work involved in improving accessibility will still reside in the HTML.
The specific advantage of CSS is that it can help you eliminate some of
the problematic and complex HTML that you would normally have in a
highly complex layout.

>P.S. Is there any sites you can think of off hand that are 100% accesible,
>links would be greatly appreciated.

Can't say that I have looked but I will say agian, always avoid
absolutes! :)

Steve