[thelist] php/mySQL update problem

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 21:16:52 CDT 2003

--- rudy <rudy937 at rogers.com> wrote:
> your queries look fine except for the quotes around $aid
> it's numeric, right?  i'm guessing, but these ids usually are

Correct, numeric (author ID)

> i absolutely hate the way mysql lets you get away with sloppy
> coding like
>
>   WHERE articleid = '$aid'
>
> this should give a syntax error if articleid is numeric

See, I THOUGHT that was the case. So I tried without the single
quote, and now I get:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 9

Here it is w/o quote:

$sql = "UPDATE article
SET
  articleTitle = '$aTitle',
  authorID = '$author',
  dateModified = '$aDate',
  article = '$aBody',
  categoryID = '$aCat',
  articleBlurb = '$aBlurb'
WHERE
  articleID = $aid"

> the update is probably running, but not updating any row, because
> it can't find the right row with that WHERE clause
> then the select runs, and it can't find the row either

Makes sense...

Do i need a semicolon at the end or something? Running this in
phpMyAdmin directly - it works fine...

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward