[thelist] Re: Office 2003, XML, and CMS

GravyFace gravyface at bmfsquad.com
Mon Aug 25 08:53:29 CDT 2003

I'm sure it is. :)
I just wrote that in two seconds for this question/email.
Besides, if the Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup, I'd be in Toronto,
consuming vast amounts of beer, and screaming with glee at the top of my
lungs.

Either way it's invalid XML - you can't have attributes in a closing
tag. Because XML has to be well formed it must always be properly
nested, so when the </article> tag is reached it can logically only
belong to the <article Type="33"> opening tag (note that quotes around
attributes are also mandatory in XML). Thus there is no need to
duplicate attributes in the end tag, and in fact doing so will
invalidate the XML and cause any compliant parser to stop with an error
message.

Cheers,

Simon Willison