[thelist] Apache configuration on OSX

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Tue Aug 26 12:55:25 CDT 2003

PPK:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 12:16 PM, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

> I'm setting up the Apache web server on my OS X computer as my
> internal web server. However, I've seen that when I upload files to it
> it chmod's them as 740 while I need 644.

This is not Apache, it's your FTP client and/or server (which in this
case is OS X). As others have mentioned, umask is your friend.

> I assume I can change this default chmod in the proper configuration
> file. Unfortunately I can't find it. The documentation talks about
> httpd.conf but this file seems to be absent from my OS X computer,
> Apple's Find doesn't find it.

It's in /private/etc/httpd (which is just aliased to /etc/httpd, so
it's where it should be)...but it's not Apache that controls FTP, so
this is more of an FYI. You can't "see" this directory in the finder,
as it really is best touched by knowledgeable hands. Also, it is owned
by root, so you won't be able to edit except with root privileges.

That being said, type this into Terminal and you'll be able to edit the
file (yes, you can cut and paste this):
	sudo pico /etc/httpd/httpd.conf

The "sudo" command tells the next action to be executed as if by the
root user -- you'll be prompted for YOUR password, and since you are in
the Admin group, it will execute.

> How do I change the default chmod? I'm a clueless newbie when it comes
> to web server management and my Unix is at the "Una cerveza por favor"
> level, so please be kind and considerate.

umask