[thelist] Question about proper tag

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 26 20:55:21 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:14 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> In your case of the list element headings, you could use css selector:
> li h1 { } to only style h1's within a list element. You probably knew,
> but
> maybe that makes you feel better than styling h1's across the board.

That's pretty much exactly what I did. In NN4 the list grows very very
long because of all the extra space, but really, it does not matter. I
have so few NN4 visitors. In fact, I have more NN3 visitors than NN4!
(I think I might know who that NN3 person is, and I don't care about
him. I'm probably the NN4 person!)

I've come to a realization that exactness among browsers is really not
important. I am the only person I know (well, except for folks like
you) who ever looks at my pages in multiple browsers. Most people will
never know what I intended. As long as the site is usable and the
content is good, I think that's all people really care about. It's very
liberating to do it with usability in mind instead of pixel perfection
(whatever that is).

I've never gotten an email from my visitors about a pixel out of place.
Criticisms are always about the information being inacurate.

> As for the predefined styles of HTML elements such as h1; you can
> think of
> their default styles as a basic stylesheet that you are overriding. I'm
> not sure there is any correctness to the those styles other than
> historically, and that they are logical for content not styled..

You are right.

I've gotta tell you that you all have really helped me. With all the
articles on the web site (which I've read much longer than I've been on
this list), plus all the info on this list and the links you all put in
your messages and signatures, I've been able to learn a lot about
accessible and usable HTML/CSS. Sometimes the arguments seem so
esoteric, but it really is important.

I'm now the resident expert at work on HTML and CSS. I get to do an
overhaul on their poorly done web interface for their web-based
application. I've been able to explain what they've been doing wrong
with CSS and show them how to make it clean, easier to understand and
maintain, and easy to change --they want the product to be able to work
on anybody's system, with custom look and feel. You can really see why
all this is so important. It's very cool.

My next crusade will be to get them to value accessibility. After all,
the product is used in workplaces.

Thanks!