[thelist] Custom Errors in IIS

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Aug 27 20:45:20 CDT 2003

From: "Michael Robertson" <mike at mikeemedia.com>
Subject: [thelist] Custom Errors in IIS

: I have been creating custom ASP error pages to display
: and setting up IIS to use them in the event of 404 or ASP
: errors. The problem with it is I have it set to URL then the
: file name and many times if there is an include file on a page
: or sometimes on a recordset the error page will display in
: the middle of the page (in place of the include) as opposed
: to instead of this page. If I set IIS to File then the complete
: path, the browser displays the ASP code from the file.
: Any suggestions?

Michael,

Can you elaborate a bit further on what your problem is please? I really
don't understand what you mean, for example, when you say:

<quote>
The problem with it is I have it set to URL then the file name and many
times if there is an include file on a page or sometimes on a recordset the
error page will display in the middle of the page
<quote>

"...if there is an include file on the page or sometimes on a recordset..."?
How can you have an include file on a recordset?

Can you also show examples of what you mean by your error types? Are your
problem occuring with both your 404 errors? or your 500-100 (ASP) errors as
well?

I can't think of any situation that would create the type of problem you
seem to be describing (well, I can, but they seem only distantly related),
so it would help if you could be as precise as possible about (a) what you
are doing and (b) what symptoms you are seeing.

Cheers
Ken