[thelist] Weird text-size behavior

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 30 16:50:12 CDT 2003

Unfortunately, I don't have a URL to demonstrate since it's all being
done behind the company firewall. Maybe on Tuesday I can arrange
something.

I strongly suspect it has something to do with IE's difficulty with CSS
inheritance. I tried setting the font-size on the body selector, but IE
wouldn't inherit from there. If I used font-size:smaller, or ems or %,
it would calculate that on its internal default size, or worse, and not
on inheriting from body. Lots of hacks out there addressing this
problem, but I chose to just put font-size:small on all the relevant
elements (a, b, span, div, td...).

The appearance is very good doing this, but it is just that weird
onclick thing. It's like the a:active won't inherit the font-size,
(specifically setting it won't help, either), and it's almost like all
the text is "listening" for onclick events or something.

Hmm, maybe that is just what is happening? I wonder if there might be
some javascript one of the other developers wrote that is involved?
I'll have to check into that. I can't imagine there is any code they
wrote to fiddle with font-size, but you never know with these guys.

I guess it helps sometimes to think "out loud", huh?

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 04:04 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> diane,
>
>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>> From: Diane Soini
>>
>> Now, here is the problem. The font size looks small
>> enough, but if I click on a link, or even if I just
>> click on the document anywhere really, the font size
>> gets really big, about 14pt , and some of it overlaps.
>> (My browser is set at text size small).
>
> got a url where we can see this problem in action?
>
> thanks,
>
> .jeff
Boyfriend: 3 years, 3 PCs. Each one purchased after the previous one
died.
Me: 9 years, 3 Macs. Each one purchased because I wanted it. They all
still work perfectly.