[thelist] Help! Floaters all over the place!

carl.myhill at ps.ge.com carl.myhill at ps.ge.com
Mon Sep 1 11:12:14 CDT 2003

Tony

Thanks for your advice. Couldn't wait to try and fix this so rushed home
lunchtime to have a go.

You're right that the <form> was outside the <div> and this seems a bit
weird (though I am no forms expert). So, have fixed that but it didn't solve
the problem.

I tried removing the margin:0; from the form but that didn't work - in fact
the form grew a lot in height so I guess there is some default margin at
work here.

I put borders around my block elements to try and debug further.  It seemed
that I've floated the breadcrumb <DIV> left with a width: 50%; and the
search <div> right with a width:50%; and sometimes they seemed to overlap in
the middle for now good reason. (perhaps because I set body width:97%; ??)

Anyhow, left a bit more space between the float left 59%, and the float
right 38%, and that seems much better.

Thanks again for the help - very nice to get a couple of tips when you have
been charging at the same problem for a few hours!

Carl