[thelist] XHTML or HTML WAS Good Examples of XHTML Usage

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Thu Sep 4 04:52:08 CDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:48:34 +0100, Ben Morrison wrote:
> Should I be using HTML 4 or XHTML?

My take

HTML 4.01 Strict
* Excellent browser support

XHTML 1.0 Strict
* Depends on pretending to be HTML before most browsers can render it
* Theoretically can be parsed with a cheaper (in system resources) parser
* Fewer exceptions to the rules make tracking down errors easier
* Can be mixed in to other XML formats (like RSS / nEcho)
* Can be processed with XSLT

Most of the benefits of XHTML can be gained by writing in HTML then
using something like Tidy to transform it to XHTML. (And equally you
can start in XHTML then transform to HTML for more primitive browsers).

--
David Dorward                                       http://dorward.me.uk/
Yes I use XHTML on my sites, I just haven't gotten around to sorting out