[thelist] FYI - Plug this MS Application Hole

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 09:30:33 CDT 2003

Sarah...

For my 2 cents.... It's a function of a couple of things.... The issue that
you mentioned with it being so large makes msoft inviting is probably
true... As a bank robber once said..it's where the $$$ is.... There was/is
some cache to being able to nail msoft....

However, there is also the mentality that msoft has to be able to make
products work together. IE, msoft doesn't ship you a product with everything
turned off in the default state. There approach was to allow you to install
the software and then be able to say it's ready to run. Numerous users
installed operating systems from msoft and didn't know half the services
running, and furthermore...probably didn't need them anyway... But these
services were at times part of the issue, given their various problems....
Combine that with people not patching them, as msoft initially didn't really
react to possible security issues in a quick manner... You have the
situation we're in....

Now having said all that.... Linux has been known to have it's problems as
well... though not as widely known... Also, when a fix is developed, you can
download it... install it your self... but you're also depending on someone
telling you that it won't cause other issues with other parts of your
system....

Welcome to the world or interconnected technology!!!

peace...

-Bruce